Medical Tourism: Prepping for Different Surgeries and Treatment Abroad
The flourishing medical tourism industry has made even the most critical procedures and treatments accessible and affordable for patients all over the world. If you are unable to get adequate orthopaedic attention within your budget in the UK or the USA, the best orthopaedic hospital in India can suffice your medical needs at a fraction of the cost.
The same goes for when getting cosmetic surgery abroad. Thanks to many organisations that assist the patient throughout the process with doctor’s appointments, travel arrangements, accommodations and likewise, medical tourism has become the preference for many.
Nevertheless, the patient must be aware of a few rules and compliances and general prep tips before crossing the border to a foreign nation to get medical aid. On that note, here is the brief know-how on three different treatments and procedures when getting it abroad.
Plastic Surgery & Cosmetic Surgery
Owing to the expensive plastic surgery and cosmetic procedures in the UK and the US, a lot of people from those nations travel to Turkey, Brazil, and Malaysia for the same. In recent years plastic surgery in Turkey has garnered global attention for its advanced techniques and affordability. On the other hand, Brazil cosmetic surgery clinics attract a significant number of patients from all over the world, owing to their state-of-the-art facilities. So, if you are planning for a medical trip as well, keep in mind the following points:
- The International Society of Plastic Surgery (ISAPS) sets the standards and compliances regarding foreign procedures keeping patient safety as the priority.
- Make sure that you choose a trained, licensed under ISAPS, and experienced surgeon. It is best to check the references as well.
- Have a thorough discussion regarding the procedure, its effects and side effects, the pre-surgery prep, post-surgery recovery time, and likewise with the surgeon.
- Get sufficient information regarding the clinic as well, whether it is accredited or not.
- Check your health insurance coverage before planning the surgery and travel.
Cancer has one of the most expensive treatment protocols, and not even health insurance coverage can suffice it at times. Enter medical tourism with advanced treatment facilities in countries like Singapore and Mexico, offering advanced treatment at affordable costs. However, before travelling to receive cancer treatment in Mexico or Singapore, be aware of the following:
- Get all your travel permissions and documents in order and keep them handy during the travel.
- You need to enquire about all the travel precautions from the oncologist in charge and abide by the same.
- Have a discussion with your health insurance agent regarding the coverage.
- Keep all your medical reports, pathology reports, and diagnostic imaging results handy.
- Keep all your necessary meds in hand for emergencies.
- Make sure that the oncologist and clinic are of good repute.
Like cancer, orthopaedic treatments can be costly as well. However, owing to the rapidly increasing senior population in the world, the procedures are high in demand as well. You can, however, get an affordable package for orthopaedics in Singapore, in one of its best hospitals specializing in the same.
The travel prep is almost similar to that of cancer treatment and plastic surgery or any other procedure. However, you need to check up on the medical compliances of the country that you are travelling to.
If you are thinking the arrangements are too complex for you to handle, it is recommended that you consult a reputed organization like Compare Medical Tourism. They have a team of experts who will help you get in touch with the right medical professionals and clinics at a competitive price.